Despite the fact that we see hundreds of children every year who have been affected by or who have experienced abuse - Women's Aid do not receive any core funding to work with these vulnerable children. We have more children in our services than we do have women!
We always work very hard to sustain our services to children in the refuge but this is always dependant upon shop profits, fundraising events and donations from friends and supporters.
We offer a programme of support to children living in the refuge. Our qualified and experienced workers offer emotional and practical support to the children, but they also organise activities, events, one-to-one sessions, children's meetings, outings/trips and communal events such as barbeques, Christmas parties, etc.
What do children get from our specialist support services
- Able to have 1:1 time focused on their own issues and individual needs, particularly around adjustment, emotions and behaviour
- Able to talk about what has happened
- Vent their pent-up feelings about the violence and its effect on their family
- Receive reassurance that it was not their fault
- Rebuild their self-esteem, self-confidence and self-worth
- Contribute to developing plans and goals for the future
- Join in with group work and so reduce loneliness and isolation
- Realise that they are not alone in having bad experiences and feelings
- Undertake structured in-depth work focused around particular issues
- Join in with fun ‘unstructured’ activities with others
- Contribute to, develop and take part in the children’s services being offered
- Have time to help ‘unravel’ complex feelings, and offload
- Discuss ‘protective behaviours’
- Discuss safety planning - how to keep safe and how to get help
- Challenge violence as a behaviour choice (including their own)
- Explore divorce, separation and loss and what it means to them
- Challenge the negative impact of living with abuse
- Have time with and explore relationships with Mum and siblings
For more information on our services for children or if you think you would like to help us please email us.